Last week we talked about the power of “going green”, so I decided it would be wise to focus on various green foods for a while to give them the attention they deserve. And what better way to showcase them then to share ways to eat them and actually get them into your diet!
Spinach is the stand out green we’re going to focus on this week. Some of its perks include it being a great source of dietary fiber, fights against cancer, helps lower blood pressure, benefits the skin, vision and bones, and is loaded with vitamin K. Not to mention it is delicious!
I want to share one of my favorite ways to eat Spinach that is quick and simple and made with ingredients you likely already have at home. This recipe is great as a side, or as a bed for a grilled meat or fish… a fillet of Salmon is often my choice. Oh dear, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Before you make it, be warned, I LOVE the flavor of lemon & garlic and often add more than the amounts listed in the recipe, as I like mine really strong. You be the judge and adjuster to your own taste!
Rosie Garlic Spinach Salad
- 4-5 ounces baby spinach
- ½ c. lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- 1/8 good quality olive oil (more if lemon is too tart for your taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. rosemary powder
- ½ tsp. Himalayan salt (more to taste)
- Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, rosemary powder and salt.
- Add spinach to the bowl and toss until covered. Grind black pepper over just before serving.
Note: This salad will be fairly wet… actually slightly wilted so it almost tastes slightly cooked. Just the way I like it! Enjoy!