Regular cranberry sauce is well known for the amount of sugar that is required to prepare it. Not this one, and once you try it, you will never miss the sugar! We prepare this dish in every Thanksgiving and our guests never know that we didn’t have to use a single spoon of sugar in it!
- 2 bags of fresh organic cranberries (12 oz. bag)
- 1 cup of organic pineapple juice
- ½ cup of organic applesauce (no sugar added)
- ½ cup of water
- Zest of one orange
- 6 pitted dates
- 3 tbsp of Grand Marnier (optional)
- Wash the cranberry in a colander, make sure you take all the bad ones out.
- Combine water, pineapple juice and applesauce in a sauce pan along with the cranberries and bring to a boil (10 – 15 minutes)
- Add the zest of the orange into the pan
- Add the grand Marnier and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes
- Using a Blentech or Vitamix or any other good food processor put your pitted dates and some of your cranberry mixture (about 1 cup) together and blend until the dates and the cranberry blend enough until they form a paste. Make sure you do not see any big or whole pieces in the mixture.
- Put your dates and cranberry mixture into your simmering pot of cranberry sauce and mix it together.
- If you want the sauce to be a bit more runny add more pineapple juice remove from heat.
- Let the sauce cool in the fridge at least for 4 hours before serving.