During this month of cleansing, you will likely notice that lemons are included in a lot of the recipes we suggest you include in your diet. While lemons do lend a fresh, flavor packed punch to many recipes, there are a host of even better benefits these little yellow gems have to offer.
As part of a daily routine, especially while cleansing, I suggest having a glass of warm water with lemon every morning before consuming any other food or drink. It is one of the best ways to “wake up” your body up for the day, to prepare it for digestion, and to encourage the elimination of toxins.
DAILY SUGGESTION: Mix together:
6-8 oz. Pure water, warm (helps to absorb quickly in the body)
1/8 – ¼ of a lemon, juiced (All you need is a wedge)
Optional: Add ½ tsp. fresh chopped ginger or 4 mint leaves, steeped in the water, approx. 5 min each.
The bonuses of adding lemon to your diet are extensive, but here are some of the standouts, just to name a few:
- Boosts Your Immune System: They are high in Vitamin C & Potassium
- Helps Digestion: It stimulates the liver to produce bile needed for digestion
- Helps Remove Toxins: Lemon Juice increases urination, helping to expel toxins at a faster rate, keeping your urinary tract healthy
- Respiratory Support: Lemon water helps to fight chest infections and coughs as well as for allergies and even asthma
- Weight Loss Aide: Pectin Fiber in lemons helps to fight hunger pains
- Helps Balance pH: Lemons reduce the acidity in the body, once metabolized.
Lemons are great added to salad dressings, juiced over fish or vegetables, in sauces or spreads like humus and guacamole, or even added to a smoothie to brighten the flavors.